Announcements and Upcoming Events
Calendar of Monthly and Weekly Projects
Fletcher Council Knights of Columbus
Come Browse and Find a Good Deal
Over 70 Vendors
St. Joseph Church - Parking Lot
Saturday, June 30 SOLD OUT
Saturday, July 28
Saturday, August 25
Flea Market Info:
- $25 per vendor space, bring your own table
- Hours 8:00 A.M. - 1:00 P.M., Setup starts at 6:15 A.M.
- Free Parking and refreshments for sale by the Knights of Columbus
- No food or beverages can be sold by vendors
- All vendor spaces are reserved and prepaid before each event
- Make checks or money orders payable to Knights of Columbus #11422, please include your phone number on check and mail to St. Joseph Church, Knights of Columbus, 2020 St. Joseph Drive, Largo, Maryland 20774
- No cash payments accepted at church
FOR MORE INFORMATION PLEASE CALL
St. Joseph Parish Council
The First Eight of our new St. Joseph Parish Council Named:
Mary Althea Holland
Congratulations to all of you!
Four more members of the Council will be appointed by Bishop Campbell and listed here at a later date.
- Parish Council Retreat: Summer TBA (July/August)
- First Parish Council Meeting: Fall TBA (September/October)
The next Bible Study will be on Monday, June 25, 2018
7 pm in the Rosemont Room
The topic for the next 2 sessions will shift to the New Testament exploring and talking about Mary, the "woman" in Gen.3:15 and then Jesus, "her seed" in the same verse.
Our Picnic is Sunday – June 24 from 2- 6 pm!
Please bring a dish to serve at least 10 people.
Attention men: we need at least 20 men to set-up at the beginning of the picnic and to return St. Joseph back to normal afterwards.
Everyone we need help with: Food prep inside, Servers outside, Food runners, Clean-up crew throughout the day
Sign-up Sheets are in the Foyer
We cannot have a picnic without your help!
A new eight-week LANDINGS series has begun, our next meeting will be May 19th at 1:00 to 2:30 p.m. at St. Joseph’s. LANDINGS is a program for returning or inactive Catholics, or parishioners that want to explore a more about to their Catholic faith. During this eight week series of compassionate listening, we pray together, shared our faith journeys, and discussed our Catholic beliefs, all guided by the Holy Spirit.
What greater act of love this year than to reactivate your own faith, or invite someone back home to the Church, through LANDINGS? The full participation of every Catholic is a precious gift to our faith community. There is no pressure, just an invitation to explore the possibilities.
To find out more about LANDINGS, please contact Freddie Mae Poole at 301 430-0619/email: email@example.com or Michael Akpan at 301 249-0130 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Calling All High School Students!
All youth servers are required to attend monthly practice sessions to strengthen their altar skills.
If you have at least received First Communion and would like to serve our parish in this important way,
Please contact Deacon Al & Jane Turner, by phone: 301-840-0255 or by email: email@example.com.
ATTENTION: ALL ALTAR SERVERS AND THOSE WANTING TO BECOME ONE!
For all youth and adults who'd like to join the Altar Servers Ministry, please complete enrollment forms, available in the ministry's mailbox (Room 3) and return to Deacon or Mrs. Turner.
St. Joseph Youth Ministry
The mission of St. Joseph Youth Ministry is to create a space where high school youth can come together to learn and grow in their faith, through fellowship, adoration, and community service. We will be adding activities to our calendar to include a youth retreat.
We look forward to you joining us at future meetings on the 2nd and 4th Sundays of each month at 1:00pm. If you are interested in more information about the youth ministry, please take an youth ministry information sheet from the information table in the foyer.
Catholic Bytes is a new Catholic podcast that offers short (5-10 minute), dynamic talks about the faith. Episodes offer listeners a variety of themes: faith fundamentals, Scripture, dogma, morals, liturgy, spirituality, saints, Church history, and personal testimonies. It is a perfect way to get your day started with a “faith-booster” on your morning commute.
Catholic Bytes is an initiative of seminarians from the Pontifical North American College, Rome. It offers to a global audience the expertise and experience of faith filled priests, seminarians, and laity from across the world who are currently studying at various pontifical universities throughout Rome. And if you listen carefully, you may hear the familiar voice of a certain St. Joseph’s parochial vicar – but to find out which one, you’ll need to tune in!
STUDY SESSIONS HERE AT ST. JOSEPH'S are on WEDNESDAYS, IN CLASSROOM 1 FROM 7:30 PM - 9:00 PM. THIS PROCESS, WHICH IS THE RITE OF CHRISTIAN INITIATION OF ADULTS [ R.I.C.A.], IS FOR THOSE AGE 16 AND OLDER. ADULTS BAPTIZED IN THE CATHOLIC CHURCH, NEEDING TO COMPLETE THE SACRAMENTS OF FIRST HOLY COMMUNION AND/OR CONFIRMATION ARE ALSO WELCOMED TO COME AND PREPARE TO RECEIVE THESE SACRAMENTS.
TO REGISTER OR FOR FURTHER INFORMATION, PLEASE CONTACT:
Deacon Steven Nash
Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults (RCIA) for those 16 years or older will begin Wednesday, September 7, 2018, in Classroom 1 from 7:30 to 9:00 pm RCIA is a period of reflection, prayer, instruction, discernment and formation for approximately eight months.
If you are NOT baptized or baptized in another Christian church and desire to become Roman Catholic orif you were baptized in the Catholic Church but never received Confirmation or First Holy Communion or if you would like to expand your understanding of the Catholic faith, you are invited to participate in the process of RCIA. For additional information or to register, contact Deacon Al Turner at: firstname.lastname@example.org or 301-503-3170.
Could you not keep watch with me for one hour?"
YOU CAME TO MASS TO RECEIVE THE WORD OF GOD
TURN THE PHONES OFF.....NO E-MAILS, NO TEXTING AND NO GAME PLAYING
IF YOUR PHONE CONTACTS ARE THAT IMPORTANT, PLEASE GO TO THE ROSEMONT ROOM SO AS NOT TO DISTURB THOSE
WHO CAME TO WORSHIP
The Archdiocese of Washington produces a weekly Sunday TV Mass filmed in the Crypt Church of the Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception. It is a wonderful ministry for those members of our Catholic family who are unable to be physically present with a local worshipping community for the Sunday Eucharistic Liturgy.
The Mass airs every Sunday at 10:30 a.m. on WDCW-50:
On cable; Dish or Direct TV subscribers: Ch. 50
Comcast: Ch. 23 in Washington, DC and Montgomery County; Ch. 3 in Prince George’s County and Southern Maryland
RCN: Ch. 15
Verizon: Ch. 3
St Joseph Memorial Wall Candles are available for subscription in the Church Business Office. Candles stay lit for one year and cost $300 per candle. That's less than $.85 cents a day! Candles may be lit for non-members and can be renewed yearly. Light a candle on a birthday, an anniversary, at Christmas or during a wedding or funeral mass. Light one for yourself as a Special Intention. Location and at which mass to dedicate and light your candle are your choice and your year starts at the time of lighting.
Eucharist very special act of consecration is that of the bread and wine used in the Eucharist, which according to Catholic belief involves their change into the Body and Blood of Christ, a change referred to as transubstantiation. To consecrate the bread and wine, the priest speaks the Words of Institution.
PLEASE, do not take large gulps from the chalice, one small sip is all that is necessary.
IF, you encounter a small bit of the Host while taking the chalice, CONSUME IT!
During the consecration, a small piece of the Host is placed in the chalice. The Body & Blood of Christ.
- Letters of Good Standing are available to REGISTERED, ACTIVELY ATTENDING/PARTICIPATING parishioners. Please bring your school form letters to the business office, once validated you will be able to pick them up in the office. Only letters issued by the schools will be accepted.
- St. Joseph's Memorial Wall. Would you like to honor a deceased member of your family? St. Joseph Bereavement Support Ministry is taking applications for the deceased members of St. Joseph's Parish to be added to the garden Memorial Wall this Spring. For applications and more information, call Sandra James (301) 773-3196, or Etoile de Hawkins (301)-336-0284. You may also call Karen Marshall at the Front Office (301)-773-4838 ext.10.
- Registration for Religious Education Classes and rites of Christian Initiation of Children (R.C.I.C.) will begin the weekend of August 26 /27 through the weekend of September16/17 after each Mass. These classes are for students who are not in Catholic school and are in the 1st grade through 8th grade and for those children 6 yrs through 15 yrs old who have not completed or begun the Sacraments of Initiation (RCIC). When you come to register, please bring a copy of your child's Baptismal certificate and a small school picture. For more information about these classes, please contact : Bernadette Crawford at the church office or you can contact her by email at email@example.com.