Black History Month
Sunday, February 10, 2019
Black History Program presented by St Joseph Youth
BLACK HISTORY MONTH
Worldwide Count of Black Catholics
Africa = 141 Million
Latin America = 105.9 Million
Caribbean and North America = 21 Million
In the United States alone, there are 3 million Black Catholics
There are 3 million African American Catholics in the United States.
- Of Roman Catholic parishes in the United States, 798 are considered to be predominantly African American. Most of those continue to be on the East Coast and in the South. Further west of the Mississippi, African American Catholics are more likely to be immersed in multicultural parishes as opposed to predominantly African American parishes.
- There are 250 African American priests in the United States and 75 men of African descent in seminary formation for the priesthood.
- There are about 400 African American religious sisters and 50 religious brothers.
- The Black population in the United States is estimated to be just over 36 million people (13% of the total U.S. population).
- By the year 2050, the Black population is expected to almost double its present size to 62 million, and it will increase its percentage of the population to 16%.